بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah The most Gracious The Most Merciful
Conditions are the prerequisites of the salaah, they are outside the salaah (prayer). They must be followed or the prayer is invalid without them.
There are nine conditions to prayer and they are :
Evidence: And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust. (Surah Al-Furqan 25:23)
Evidence: The pen has been raised from three: The one who is sleeping, until he awakens. The insane person, until he returns to his senses. The child until they reach puberty. (Musnad Ahmad, Abu Dawood, An-Nasa`i and Ibn Majah)
3. Age of Discernment
Evidence: Narrated from ‘Amr ibn Shu’ayb from his father that his grandfather said: The Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) said: “Teach your children to pray when they are seven years old, and smack them (lightly) if they do not pray when they are 10 years old, and separate them in their beds.” (Abu Dawood 459 and Ahmad 6650. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Irwa’ 247)
4. Removal of Hadath (Ritual Impurity). The Major (Menstruation and Sexual Intercourse) by performing Ghusl (ritual bath). The minor (e.g Passing of wind) by performing wudhu.
Evidence: Allah does not accept prayer without purification. (Recorded by Muslim and others)
Allah does not accept the prayer of one in a state of Hadath until he performs ablution (Agreed upon)
Narrated Asma’ bint Abi Bakr: A woman asked Allah’s Apostle, “O Allah’s Apostle! What should we do, if the blood of menses falls on our clothes?” Allah’s Apostle replied, “If the blood of menses falls on the garment of anyone of you, she must take hold of the blood spot, rub it, and wash it with water and then pray in (with it).” (Sahih al-bukhari, book of Menstrual Periods, Hadith 304).
5. Removal of impurties from your body, your clothes and the place of prayer.
Evidence: And purify your garments! (Surah al-Muddathhir 74:4)
6. Covering the ‘awrah (Legislated area of body that must be covered). For women in the prayer they must cover their whole body except their hands and face if they fear they may be seen then they should cover their hands and face. For men they must cover the navel to the bottom of the knee.
Evidence: Allah does not accept the prayer of a woman who has reached the age of menstruation unless she wears a veil. (Sunan abu dawud)
7. Praying it at the time it is supposed to be prayed.
Evidence: Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours. (Surah An-Nisa` 4:103)
8. Facing The Qiblah.
Evidence: Verily! We have seen the turning of your (Muhammad’s Sallallahu allaihi wa sallam) face towards the heaven. Surely, We shall turn you to a Qiblah (prayer direction) that shall please you, so turn your face in the direction of Al-Masjid- Al-Harâm (at Makkah). And wheresoever you people are, turn your faces (in prayer) in that direction. (Surah Al-Baqarah 2:144)
9. Intention, which must be in the heart and not said aloud.
Evidence: Indeed, deeds are by Intentions, and for every person is what he intended. (Agreed upon)